Saturday, January 19, 2008

2nd week in London

It is now Sat 19 Jan and it is time to update this blog. It is cloudy and grey skies above and windy but certainly not cold for me. I have my jeans and Taranaki hard core t shirt on as I write. Last sat I watched Blackheath Seniors play Halifax at Blackheath and it was an average match. Nothing to get excited about ( Div 2 ) and the quality was average. It was really cold though and I did feel the cold on this day.

I met up with some supporters and general manager and a NZ player in the team ( Matt Vaughn ) after the game and have been invited to attend some trainings which I will do. I was due to go on Tues but training was cancelled and they said to come along next Tues which I will.

On Sunday I went to Canary wharf ( Jan sales ) and spent a good few hours there just wandering around and buying stuff I needed ( Iron, jug, radio/alarm/ pillows/ and a suit ( £ 99 ) and a shirt ( £ 10 ) Travelled on the trains and I am pretty comfortable with the whole system.

Teaching this week has been good. I am getting a rapport with the students I teach and seeing them smile n laugh is a good sign cause they are rather serious in facial expressions. The content is fine.

The week has been mostly just teaching and relaxing in my unit / reading and emailing and so on. On Tues afternoon ( I have no classes scheduled ) so I went into Canary Wharf again and splashed out on a cell ph. I am up and running now and learning how to use it ( Vodafoan ) It cost me £ 20 and have loaded it up with an initial £ 25.

Because it gets dark by 4.30 pm and teaching finishes at 4.45 pm most days ( Tues excepted ) for me anyway, you just finish up and wander back to your place, do some emails, buy some groceries or whatever. Thats my week schedule at the moment.

There have been exams also and I have had to supervise ( the word they use here is to Invigilate ) so you become an invigilator. The exams are held in Jan for students who began courses in Sept. My classes are all students who began their courses in Jan bar 1 class who began in Sept and that class has had their exams this week. ( Unit 1 ) I am teaching them Unit 2 now and the Jan starters I am teaching them Unit 1 of the syllabus.

Its a good system. I have access to past exams and this can help in teaching what is needed. Text books as well.

I have been in touch with Murray Grimwood, Steven Owen and Rik Knight ( all ex NPBHS teachers who are teaching here ) as well this week. Steven isnt too far away and will meet up with them all sometime.

Have written a long letter to my Mum ( she doesnt have email access ) and now I have to go to a Post office today and get some stamps. Just for you Mum. ( I love ya Mum )

I enjoy the cafetaria at lunch here. A chance to talk with fellow teachers and relax. 3 hour teaching stints are quite tiring and lunch is a welcome break before you are straight back into it. I have 1 day ( wed ) where I have a full 6 hrs and I was quite tired that day and slept well that night.

Yesterday ( Friday ) I had a few beers in Greenwich with 3-4 teachers in a nice quaint pub. Walked from school and bused back at 11 pm.

Whats on my agenda today. Complete some emails. Read over the instruction manual for the cell ph and I am looking at heading to Eltham ( no its not Eltham as we say it It is Elt ham. I asked someone what bus I would need to go on and they didnt understand. Its all in the pronounciation eh There is a flash swimming pool there which I am keen to use my flippers in.

The Blackheath rugby team are playing out of town so I may look to going elsewhere to see some rugby or give it a miss and do some exploring this afternoon. I am keen to see some Heineken cup matches, I have a schedule now of games still to be played so will see to that also at some stage.

On Sunday it is my daughter Sarah 's 19th birthday. Have a good one Sarah. I miss ya and will be thinking of you.

Well thats all for this update. All is going well. I will now get out and about in amongst it all. Cheers for now. Kevin

No comments: