Saturday, January 12, 2008

First week in London

Hi all. Well I have just completed my first week in London so its time to start this blog. I am writing this on Sat morning ( Jan 12 ) at the college while my washing / drying of my clothes is taking place.

I arrived Thurs 3 Jan about 12 noon and it wasnt until 3-4 pm before I was away from Heathrow.

The travel over here was pretty uneventful. My large suitcase though did not arrive on my flight. I had to wait another couple hours before it arrived on another flight.

Then it was onto Piccadilly line. off at Holborn and onto Central line stopping at Bank then onto DLR and eventually Greenwich. My accommodation was pretty basic and small. It was a Bed and Breakfast.

Almost like a prison cell and no chair / table just a bed toilet and shower close together, with some cupboard space. I stayed here 5 nights. My first couple days was getting organised.

Meeting the Academic director at Bellerbys College ( where I will be teaching Accounting ) for the next 5 months and meeting up with the Teaching agency that secured the job for me. Also getting used to the train and Bus systems to get around.

I had a good walk around Greenwich and also checked out Blackheath RFC on Sunday as well as looking for my 2nd accommodation spot I had booked. ( Tonys ) What a mission. Took me a couple hours or more of wasted time but thats life.

Decided against it as it was too small yet again and too far from where I was to start work on Monday 7 jan. Booked into a hotel in Greenwich ( more expensive ) but then a lucky break came my way.

An opportunity for a twin unit at the accommodation block where the students reside suddenly was available and I was lucky enough to be in the right spot at the right time to sign up. Had to pay 5 months up front necessitating a trip to Bank ( More travelling time ) and getting my suitcases from the B and B and eventually settling into the unit ( G Block quite appropriate for Mr G Hill ) I am on the 6th Floor Room 6.

Now it was time to purchase certain essentials such as loo paper, linen and cutlery and so on. The room is spacious and ideal for me and June. June will be over her by Feb 10. No TV or radio or iron or coathooks just yet.

Further trips were necessary since Greenwich is mostly a tourist area and caters for eating and cafes mostly. A trip To lewisham solved that for a couple of shirts for teaching.

My first day at the school ( jan 7 ) was relaxing allowing me some time off to attend to all this stuff ( Classes werent finalised and so it was an orientation day and becoming familiar with the College.

I have been full on since Tues Jan 8 in the classroom with my classes. I must say I am enjoying the teaching and being here. I have some small classes which is great and I teach in 3 hr blocks ( 9.15am - 12.130 am with a 15 min break taken when I decide.

Then it is 1hr for lunch ( 12.30 - 1.30 pm ) and classes again ( 1.30 -4.45 pm with a 15 min break again wherever I decide. I have 25 hrs teaching and 5 spare hours of the total of 3o hrs ( 6 hrs per day )

I look forward to the lunch ( Main meal of the day ) and it costs me $ 2 ( hot meal ) so thats what I will be doing I reckon. Cuts down on costs elsewhere at this stage anyway.

On Friday I had a few beers with a couple of staff ( Firstly in Greenwich ) then on to a boat moored on the Thames in central London Quite an experience which involved a train trip into London via Charing Cross station and a late night return. All good stuff.

Today sat 12 jan I am going to see Blackheath RFC play this afternoon . Complete this blog and a few emails and purchase a few things for my unit and I 'll take it from there. Will sign off now. The first week in London has been a buzz. Cheers Kevin

3 comments:

Gleddy said...

Hi Dad,
first weeks sounds so much fun, glad you worked out how to use the blog - once mum gets there you will be able to add photos - keep up the updates,

Paul

frenchie sarah said...

hey dad, nice to see what u have been upto, and u can use the blog now, and like paul said, defs put some piccies up when mom arrives with digital cam
i miss u heaps. and its only the beginning, o well
guess ill see u in a years time
xoxoxoxoxoxox
love sarah

Brigid & Team said...

Hi Kevin, Great to know you have settled and now awaiting your June. We are working her to the bone before she goes to keep her occupied. the time is flying now and she is really looking forward to going. The weather is lovely and warm and we enjoyed seeing the kayakers arriving. Alls well in NP and enjoy all your new experiences. Love Brigid & Team