Saturday, February 9, 2008

5th week in London

Hi again. It is Saturday 9th Feb ( I have been here 5 weeks now ) Almost a local. The sun is shining ( well thats not quite right. It is somewhere up there ) and I notice some blue sky. I will get out n about soon.

It is great to hear that there are some people out there who actually look at our site. Make comments if you wish. You may have noticed there's a photo now so hopefully once June arrives ( tomorrow ) we can begin to show some photos. This may well become her task ( a delegation I suppose )

This week has been much like the others work wise ( Mon - Frid ) but last Sat was a buzz. I went and watched the opening 2 matches in the 6 Nations on TV at Battersea RFC in Earslfield ( near Clapham Jctn ) which was a noisy regular footie club crowd ( a few Welsh supporters as well ) but it became somewhat quiet when it became obvious that Wales was going to win.

I was dropped off later at Clapham Junction by my host and stayed around the area to soak up the atmosphere post game as the place was crowded as match followers made their way back thru Clapham Junction ( Twickers isnt too far from Clapham Junction ) so all the trains cruise through here. Met up with some Welsh supporters who as you can imagine were rapt and emptied their wallets for a beer or two with me. This was in the Falcon Pub ( supposedly the longest bar in the World ( it is like a running track.) It winds its way along and around through other areas and I took a walk around it stopping along the way as one does.

I also met up with some youger Welsh folk who showed me a couple of other bars and we had a good time. ( one of these fellows was an events manager for Welsh rugby ) so he is looking at securing a couple tickets for me and June for the Welsh v France match in Cardiff. Am crossing my fingers on this. He has been in touch so we will see.

Sunday was spent mostly looking at web sites for airline deals ( Easy Jet and Ryannair ) and other stuff ( Time out and TNT magazine for whats on in london ) for when June arrives and household chores ( washing clothes ) catching up with emails and reading over of some accounting stuff.

I cruised into Greenwich village on Wed and watched the England v Switzerland football match, topped up my oyster card / checked out whats on at the movies and Pier cruises. The opportunity was there to go to the footie match at Wembly but I put in my request too late and missed out.

Thursday was a real buzz. I went to watch We will Rock you ( a musical with Queen music ) at 7.30 pm which was simply brilliant at Tottenham court ( Dominion theatre ) Secured a ticket for £ 20 ( regular £ 55 ) through our student body here who have events for the students at student Group rates so I can see June and I hooking into this for future shows. The graphics / lighting/ set simply blew me away. I was foot tapping all night and it was a superb show. The singing was primo.

Last night ( Frid ) I was invited to a few beers for a birthday bash for one of the staff here. It was at the Queen Mary ship/ bar at Embankment beside the Thames. I had been there before so knew how to get there. The trains had a problen with the doors so there were delays which you kinda get used to but it can be interesting to observe how some pommies react to it all. The trains are a people watchers dream, you can observe so much about human nature cause you are so cramped up and its an experience in itself just travelling on the trains. It is still a novelty for me so I guess I am not phased by it all.

Being a teacher here means writing reports and its that time now. I will get onto this today cause they have to be completed by Tues cause June and I have an excursion to Lille ( Northern France ) planned which departs on Tues after my classes are finished for the day.

Am enjoying the teaching / establishing some rapport with my classes now, they call me Kevin, say gidday when they see me so its all good. I will write about life at Bellerbys College in a separate blog for those who are interested in how things are different from our good ol NPBHS.

Well thats it for now. cheers cya.

No comments: