Saturday, February 2, 2008

Fourth week in London

Hi again. Sat morning 2 Feb and yes today there is some sun shining ( just a little though ) The 6 Nations start today. Ireland v Italy and Eng v Wales. ( No club rugby on this weekend. ) I will see both I hope on TV at Battersea RFC with a Londoner who is friends with Keith Roberts ( Ex PE mate of mine who grew up here and now on contract in Japan as a trainer with a rugby club ) Will figure out how to get there soon so another adventure is likely but its all part of the fun.

Well I've done my stint as a BBC Radio reporter for now and it worked out well. It was at Rosslyn Park ( in Barnes near Richmond ) I got there in plenty of time. did some research and talked to a few people and set up the gear ( It had arrived on the Mounts Bay team bus. ( 6 hr trip.) Their HQ is at Penzance (Lands End) and its a surfing area so I would like to go there at some stage later in the year )

Did a test run or two with the gear and was ready for the match. It was a good match won 27 -17 by Mounts v Rosslyn Park ( Mounts are the top team in Southern Div 3 league ) The program takes in several sideline comments from various matches ( other reporters ) and this was one of them ( there were 2 others as well as a live match commentary from another match somewhere in the Cornwall area.

The program runs for about 3 hours ( 2 pm - 5 pm ) easily done when games are at staggered kick off times and we cross now to...... to give an update and so on. I interviewed the captain and their wing who scored 3 tries after the match ( pre recorded ) to air later on their Cornwall rugby show. It was a neat experience and I have been added to their list when games are in London again. This is a Cornwall BBC station and their top side was playing in London that week. I met up with the Mounts team players and management, had a few beers and then started the homeward journey this time doing some more exploring checking out the sights of London at night ( Leicester square, Charing Cross and surrounding areas before getting back to my unit in Greenwich. Quite an experience.

On Sunday I decided to stay with the rugby theme and since Saracens were playing Bath at Watford ( 2 top sides in Heineken cup ) this was on my radar so away I went ( 1.30 pm game ) It was a good match won by Saracens ( Sarries as they call em and with flags and banners everywhere it was another unique experience. ( I factored in 1 and half hours travel time and it took all of that. )

I was lucky enough to get into the members stand ( where all the players gather, with speeches and free food for all ) and talked with Census Johnson as well. Ex Taranaki prop playing for Saracens. He played well and has slimmed down alot and looked pretty quick at times around the track.

I was probably the only non member in this area but was shouted a beer or two and met up with some locals as well. Didnt get to meet up with the new Taranaki coach who is coaching at Saracens cause he didnt turn up at the afters but it was still an enjoyable outing. Chris Jack and Glen Jackson play for Saracens. Chris Jack was back in NZ for awhile but Jackson played. Managed a few words with him after the game as well. A local told me that Jack has signed for 3 yrs and is buying a house in Watford.

To get from Watford station to the ground ( also used as a football venue ) a taxi is required. They are all waiting for you at the station and the park ) otherwise its more walking. This cost me £ 5 but I shared the return journey with a Bath supporter I met.

That was my weekend. All focused on Rugby. It gets me out and about and I enjoy that.

Teaching this week has been good. I am starting to use past exam papers now which is good for specific question awareness which these student thrive on and it helps me too with the content and how they examine. There are differences in terms and formats so I am learning all this and staying at least one step ahead of my classes all the time.

No rugby coaching stint at Blackheath this Tues cause there are no club fixtures this Sat due to Eng v Wales this afternoon at Twickers. Would love to see this game live but even regular supporters have told me it is so difficult ( Often tickets are balloted as well ) so will see on TV this afternoon.

Went out to Charlton on Thurs to Asda ( a large supermarket / clothing store cause they had advertised suits for £ 15. This I had to see but yeah all sold by the time I arrived. Bought some undies ( 3 pairs for £3 ) and 6 pairs sox for £ 3 ) and a £ 3 toaster. This was my £ 3 day eh and I can now have toast again. Some good deals so long as you know where to go.

Had a few beers on Friday with a couple of teachers at the Union in Greenwich and that rounded off my week. Am establishing good rapport with my classes now and humour is beginning to show with the students and things I say. I have 3 boy students from Turkey and 2 of these are what can I say cheeky types and real casual and an occassion caused me to say ' What do you Turkish rebels think about all this now.' That created some laughter and rapport.

Thats about it for now. Its time to get ready for my trip to Battersea RFC. Cheers. see ya all next time.

2 comments:

Evans Family on the move again said...

Hey Kevin,

enjoying reading the blog, keep it up. Especially keen on your views on the cost of living and the teaching conditions.
Sounds like it is going well. God I miss ASDA.

Give us your email address.

Andy Evans NPBHS Technology

Shona said...

Hi Kevin, Tainui here. Guess you are looking forward to June arriving - our loss your gain. Keep the updates coming.